A Fight with Depression

Depression, one of the most common problem that people face these days. Especially, it is very often seen in teenagers. It may sound easy to deal with it overcome it, it's all in the mind but it's hard to accept that it is much more difficult to handle. To understand depression, you must know, “What is being Depressed? “ In scientific terms, It is a mental disorder defined by continuously depressed mood or loss of interest in activities, causing impairment on everyday basis. This is a true aspect, being depressed takes away everything you have and you love. Most of the time people don't even know that they are depressed. It is quite often seen that people may misunderstand it as stress and deal with it accordingly. And those who understand might not know the right path to recovery.

Depression not only has effect on our mood or activities but it also takes away our ability to think clearly. Some people might not be able to bear the heat of depression and give up on everything. Possible reason could be, people suffering from depression lack hope and may not see any positive outcome of their lives. Hope is something that keeps you going, something that gives you a reason to move forward, to do things, to live life and something that gives your life a purpose. It is powerful enough to not let you give up until you make it till the end but losing this very thing might mess you up beyond expectations. Anyway, it doesn't mean that you cannot reconnect with your old self. We all must have heard, “Time can heal all wounds”. But it's not all easy as eating a pie, with time either it will get easier to deal with or even worse. In general, when people are depressed they find it hard to do anything, they might not like to get out of their beds, go to work or sleep for hours or couldn't sleep at all. Love and enthusiasm in their hobbies fade eventually, they don't really like what they used to enjoy or simply couldn't do them anymore. Also, they start maintaining distance from their family and friends or just stop getting around much. Because of which they end up feeling lonely and unwanted. But it might not be the case Every time, there are people who socialize, got out on their job and smile all day long and still feel lonely.

My experience with depression isn't the best story of my life but it definitely made me stronger. I couldn't have been the person that I am today if I hadn't experienced the lowest point of my life. This was during the time when I entered high school. I was a new student and I had two more newcomers with me and all of us got transferred to a girls school from a Co-ed school. And the reason I chose this school for me to study because it has a very high reputation but at that time I didn't have any idea how difficult it was going to be for me. I moved from my home to another city in a hostel. New school got me a lot of good stuff as well as bad ones. There were few students who used to tease me and spread unnecessary rumors about me, which I didn't like. So, I started skipping my school and used to lay on my bed almost all day because of which I lost my grip on my academics which made me even more depressed. Like all other girls, I too faced eve tease, harassment and almost got molested. All these experiences changed my life. I couldn't tell my parents because they trusted me and I didn't want to bother them. I felt worthless and I had numerous thoughts in my mind. There was confusion, frustration, anxiousness, it was like I was feeling a lot of emotions at the same time. There weren't many friends and family with whom I could share. So, I wanted to end all the suffering and I even tried multiple times but couldn't do it. Every time I tried or thought about doing it I just had these pictures of my family mourning my death and I couldn't imagine the pain they had to go through. That scared the hell out of me. So, I made up my mind that I won't give up. One day I woke up and decided to tell my teacher about all the things going on, so I wrote a letter and gave it to her. When she read that letter she called me and had a conversation with me. She told me one thing that you are not the only one my child there are other people out there in the world who are suffering even worse. It got me thinking that maybe my life isn't that bad, though it has got its ups and downs its worth living. Every day was a battle with myself and my mind got divided into two halfs one wants to fight and others have wanted to do nothing. But I had to fight with everything I got and I did. I got out of it without any antidepressants. It is the will and determination that is required if you have these two things in you, you are going to achieve anything and everything.

That was my story and just like me and many more fighters out there, you are going to be alright. It is a journey that carves you in the person that you become. All of us are different and unique in our own way, so don't doubt yourself. We all regret the poor decisions we took in the past but does that make you feel any better, It does not and it never will. Believe in yourself even when no one does, have faith that everything is going to be fine. We all have hard times but the most difficult and important part is how we treat ourselves during those tough times. Be calm and patient with yourself it will take time to heal. All of us find it hard to get out of the bed and face the world but you know what, get out of your bed tomorrow and go out for a walk, listen to some good music, dance and let your feelings out. Do what you like to do, focus on something that matters to you. I know you are one hell of a strong person, so follow your instincts. Tell yourself how important it is for you and how happy it makes you feel. Talk to people around you, be active and feel free to share your thoughts, become carefree of what people think and do what you were meant to do because at the end of the day it is what matters. You are the person that matters. Even if you can't get out of it please seek help, don't be afraid. It's alright and there is nothing to be ashamed of it's just like cold and fever that we suffer, sometimes we try to treat it with home remedies and if it doesn't work we go to doctors for professional help. So don't be scared you are going to find your way.

I hope that all of you those who are going through the same emotions come out of it victorious. Motivate yourself every day to do the right thing the one that makes you happy. Self-motivation is one of the crucial parts of all of it. Nobody can save you unless you want to be saved. Remember no matter how hard it gets just keep living and never give up. Nothing lasts forever, it's a phase and it will pass.

“Depression might not be the best story of your life but it certainly is one the most impactful, motivating and inspirational one.”
                                                      - R'

Comments